- You become a Pokemon Trainer, traveling from town to town across the Johto region on an adventure to catch, train and battle Pokemon
- You can take your favorite Pokemon with you wherever you go using the new Pokewalker accessory; wirelessly transfer a Pokemon to the Pokewalker and walk your Pokemon through virtual routes as you walk around in real life. By walking, you earn Watts that can be used to encounter and catch wild Pokemon or search for hidden items; the Pokemon in the Pokewalker will gain experience points as you walk, and can even go up one level when Pokemon is transferred back into the game.
- For the first time, any Pokemon can follow you on your journey outside of the PokeBall; your favorite Pokemon can always be at your side.
- With a wireless broadband connection, you can interact with your friends who have either the Pokemon HeartGold or SoulSilver Version game to trade or battle Pokemon via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service; you can also battle and trade with others via a local wireless connection.
- An internal clock keeps track of the time of day and the day of the week; some special events will only happen on certain days or at certain times of day.